Inception
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Inceptions homepage. This is a Minecraft emulation server that is provided to the public at no extra cost!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Alturnous
Admin
Admin
Alturnous

Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  Empty
PostSubject: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Ok, can anyone prove that 9.99999 repeating infinitely equals 10? or even .999999 = 1 ?? lol
Back to top Go down
Zanathar
Admin
Admin
Zanathar

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:08 pm

I obviously can but how can 9.9 repeat infinity? Do you mean infinitely? Idk... Razz
Back to top Go down
https://minecraftinception.forumotion.com
Slent
Newcommer
Newcommer

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 10:54 pm

My calc teacher did this trick last year.

Let x = .9999...

Then 10x = 9.999...

10x - x = 9.999... - .999... = 9

9x = 9

x = 1
Back to top Go down
Alturnous
Admin
Admin
Alturnous

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 3:56 am

Slent wrote:
My calc teacher did this trick last year.

Let x = .9999...

Then 10x = 9.999...

10x - x = 9.999... - .999... = 9

9x = 9

x = 1

umm.. pretty close lol.. but your algebra is a little messed up lol
while x=9.999..
10x should = 99.999.. lol
then 10x - x would be 90 Smile 99.999.. - 9.999..
90x = 90
divide 90 from both sides blabla
and you get x = 10 Smile

and its no trick lol Its all an infinite geometric series lol

Last edited by Alturnous on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zanathar
Admin
Admin
Zanathar

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:41 am

Alt you definitly just said the same thing he did bro... His Algebra is fine.

x=.9 repeating
10x=9.9repeating
10x-x=9.9repeating-.9 repeating
9x=9
x=1

Hmmmm?

And this isnt an example of an infinite series. This is simple digit manipulation. If you wanted to prove this using infinite series and sequences it would be a little different.

The most common form of decimal expansions is to define them as sums of infinite series. Which would be something like...

(X_0)(X_1)(X_2)...= X_0+X_1(1/10)+X_2(1/10)^2+X_3(1/10)^3+...

Where X is the vairable an _ denotes the subscript and a carret (^) denotes the power it is raised to.

For .999... we can apply the Convergence theorem that deals with a geometric series.

If |r|<1 then ar+ar^2+ar^3+...=(ar/(1-r))

Since .9 repeating is a sum with the common ratio of r=1/10 you simply plug it in!

.9 repeating = 9(1/10)+9(1/10)^2+...=(9(1/10)/(1-(1/10)))=1

This was actually the first proof that actually proved this and was actually introduced in 1770 by a mathmatician named Leonhard Euler.

Hope this helped answer your question... Can I have a prize yet? And please dont make me type out the sequence to obtain it... I dont know the alt number for an epsilon...
Back to top Go down
Alturnous
Admin
Admin
Alturnous

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:49 am

Zanathar wrote:
Alt you definitly just said the same thing he did bro... His Algebra is fine.

x=.9 repeating
10x=9.9repeating
10x-x=9.9repeating-.9 repeating
9x=9
x=1

Hmmmm?

And this isnt an example of an infinite series. This is simple digit manipulation. If you wanted to prove this using infinite series and sequences it would be a little different.

The most common form of decimal expansions is to define them as sums of infinite series. Which would be something like...

(X_0)(X_1)(X_2)...= X_0+X_1(1/10)+X_2(1/10)^2+X_3(1/10)^3+...

Where X is the vairable an _ denotes the subscript and a carret (^) denotes the power it is raised to.

For .999... we can apply the Convergence theorem that deals with a geometric series.

If |r|<1 then ar+ar^2+ar^3+...=(ar/(1-r))

Since .9 repeating is a sum with the common ratio of r=1/10 you simply plug it in!

.9 repeating = 9(1/10)+9(1/10)^2+...=(9(1/10)/(1-(1/10)))=1

This was actually the first proof that actually proved this and was actually introduced in 1770 by a mathmatician named Leonhard Euler.

Hope this helped answer your question... Can I have a prize yet? And please dont make me type out the sequence to obtain it... I dont know the alt number for an epsilon...

actually yes it is a very basic example on how to prove a part of the series... and typing things out of a book, or copying them off the internet is pretty lazy.. and funny when you use them incorrectly lol.. but good try though broski Razz No prize for you!
Back to top Go down
Zanathar
Admin
Admin
Zanathar

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:52 am

You are going to tell me my proof is wrong? Some balls ya got there broski. Take it up with the 1700's scientists no this sexy monster.
Back to top Go down
Alturnous
Admin
Admin
Alturnous

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:56 am

Zanathar wrote:
You are going to tell me my proof is wrong? Some balls ya got there broski. Take it up with the 1700's scientists no this sexy monster.

lmao you are sooo dumb... I never said it was wrong wow haha... all I said was you were incorrect in attempting to say what I stated was wrong Smile but yet again, a good try by the great zan Very Happy.... also earlier I said "while x = 9.999.." which i meant to put in there before but forgot Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Slent
Newcommer
Newcommer

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 6:11 am

I only call it a trick because it really has no significance other than to impress.
Back to top Go down
terdferguson
Newcommer
Newcommer

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 6:28 am

ok zan and alt, who was the one who showed you how to do this, in the hookah lounge?
Back to top Go down
Zanathar
Admin
Admin
Zanathar

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 6:29 am

Haha hey there buddy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!    Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's see if anyone gets this, other than Zan of course!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Inception :: General :: Starbucks-
Jump to: